ABOUT THE EMPLOYER
Gambian Talents Promotion connects West Africans in Washington with community resources including rent, bill payment and grocery assistance, a community van, student help, senior assistance, interpretation and translation services, and more. Based in Lynnwood and serving West Africans in Snohomish and King County and beyond, GTP aims to be a community and cultural hub for West Africans and a bridge to the wider community
The rent assistance program supports community members who are at risk or may become at risk for eviction. The program prevents homelessness and increases housing stability by paying past due, current due, future rent, and utilities for eligible participants in Snohomish County. This position provides culturally-appropriate support to connect community members with available resources. The position holder works closely with the Executive Director and Communities of Color Coalition to successfully deliver the rental assistance program.
This is a 9-month, time-limited position supported by the Communities of Color Coalition (C3) with funding from Voice of America (VOA). Paid Training will be provided to the position holder. This position may be renewed if additional funding is secured and the position can grow into a full-time position depending on performance and delivery.
Date posted: April 5th, 2021
Hours/week: 24 hours per week for now but has a potential to grow into a full-time position(flexible schedule).
Type: Time-limited; 9-month contract
Start date: Immediately
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Reports to: Executive Director
Deadline: Open until filled
How to apply: Apply online; https://docs.google.com/forms/d/120UuK7JN-ZXrwxL-_WRcaExNB9qrRk3Y-sJ5rEMo0lU/viewform?pli=1&edit_requested=true
Applicants have the option to upload a resume and a brief cover letter describing professional and personal experience relevant to the position. Finalists may be asked to submit to a Washington State background check.
• Conduct intake assessments with individuals and families in person and by phone to determine program eligibility and refer them to appropriate resources.
• Support eligible individuals and families with the rental assistance application process.
• Provide clear and consistent communication on the status of applications.
• Ensure adherence to program requirements in documentation of eligibility.
• Maintain confidentiality of applicant information and all other information he/she is privy to.
• Provide necessary paperwork for processing checks or payments to property managers.
• Work closely with Executive Director to ensure clear communication to property managers and receipt of payments are sent to participating tenants.
• Perform basic filing and record keeping to maintain accurate and up-to-date records of program activities and applicant eligibility.
• Conduct outreach (by phone, text, email, and door notices) to identify community members who may be eligible for the rental assistance program.
• Work collaboratively with GTP staff, volunteers and partners to connect community members with resources.
• Develop and maintain knowledge of GTP programs and Snohomish County resources for referrals.
• Ensure all people are served with dignity, respect and compassion regardless of circumstance, ability, language, culture or identity.
• Perform other duties as assigned to support GTP’s mission, programs and operations.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Demonstrated skills in community outreach and program/administrative support. Experience engaging with West African communities and/or working with people experiencing housing challenges is preferred.
• Comfortable helping people in crisis situations with an ability to engage others in an empathetic, non-judgmental way.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds.
• Strong verbal and written English skills. Multilingual in Mandinka, Fula, Jola, Wolof, Aku or any other languages spoken by West African immigrants and refugees is preferred.
• Demonstrates respect for others’ experiences, opinions, language, values, culture and knowledge.
• Ability to work cooperatively with others.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability to manage one’s own time.
• Computer literacy including proficiency using spreadsheets, word processing and email programs. Ability to use standard office equipment including phone, printer, scanner, copier and fax.
Gambian Talents Promotion is an Equal Opportunity Employer